Thursday 13 March 2014

Errandonnee #5: There Will Be Days Like This


After a very foggy morning, it was worth the wait: glorious sunshine. One of the things on my To Do list is joining the local library, but when the wide outdoors are beckoning like this, I couldn't wait to try a "Library Without Walls" errandonnee.

Errandonnee #5
Date: Wednesday, 12 March 2014
Category: Library (Without Walls)
Destination:  Dunstable Downs Visitor Centre
Distance:  26.7 km
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:


1. Take that extra layer.

I took a roundabout route to Markyate (via this scene again) and then practiced my souplesse (!) action up Buckwood Road. This is fast becoming one of my favourite local rides. However, today, I noticed I wasn't getting as warmed up by the gentle climb as I usually do. Idly, I wondered how cold it might feel on the descent later in the afternoon with the sun lower in the sky and the trees casting deeper shadows. I was glad I had at the last minute put a long-sleeved windcheater in my pannier.

I also wondered how chilly it might actually be up at the top of the Downs! Too cold to sit outside? Further, would I be able to focus on my reading in the face of distractions like... kites, dogs, other bikes. Sitting inside would be okay but would prevent me from including my bicycle in any photos of my actual reading activities.

Not to worry! It was indeed a bit brisk around the front of the Visitor Centre, which is the best place to watch gliders and other airborne objects. But the picnic area tucked into the 'elbow' of the L-shaped building was what we call here a "sun trap". Perfect!




2. I may have found the waist bag that will go to Scotland with me: the Trespass Dax.

I've got 4 or 5 different bags designed to be worn around the waist but none so far have been both the right size and user-friendly when on the move. I bought the Dax on Ebay last week and have worn it on 3-4 rides now.

I was at first concerned that the Dax is a bit small, but twice now I've added something to it at the last minute before heading out the door and found that it did indeed all fit in.

A key feature in its favour, which is very important to me, is a two-way zip on the main compartment, so that the zip can be fully closed with the zips meeting in a position of my choosing. Also, the pull tabs on all the zips are a nice size and easy to grasp even with gloves.

Today, I found that I could unzip the main compartment, pull something out (in this case my camera) and put it back and re-zip the bag with hardly a break in pedalling. (I am already accustomed to using this camera on the go so that part was not in question.)

So, if I can find a top tube bag I'm happy with (for the larger camera I intend to take, plus a small snack stash), then I think my on-the-go set up for touring may be settled.

Panda Silhouette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This