Monday 24 March 2014

Public Art III: Village Pride

Last weekend, I found myself passing through "subway" under the A5 in the village of Markyate. I've used this underpass perhaps half a dozen times before but, oddly enough, always (a) in near darkness and/or rain, (b) in a group of cyclists and (c) with my mind focused on negotiating the barriers at each end of the tunnel without slipping or falling over in my road cycling shoes.

This particular sunny afternoon, however, I was pootling along on my own and had switched out my Speedplays for platform pedals. So for the first time, I came into the tunnel looking up and around rather than down. 

And this is what I saw: 


I was shocked! Where had this come from? Had it always been there? 

And this next to it:


I set the bike aside, stepped back and tried to wrap my brain around the concept that

This tunnel is full of art... and has been so EVERY time I've passed through here!!  


I felt stunned and mortified that I'd never noticed before! One of those "rug yanked out from under me" kind of moments.

I spent nearly half an hour, walking slowly from one end of the underpass to the other several times, trying to take it all in.

even the graffiti over it doesn't diminish the brilliance of this flower


Who or what is the "M2K Crew"?


















I told Adam about it when I got home. Yes, it's always been there ("always" referring to my tenure in these parts). 

Who painted these charming, almost whimsical pictures? I expected a Google search to solve the mystery in just a few seconds (local youth centre project?) but have found nothing. Can any readers shed some light?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This