Saturday 16 May 2015

Unprepared But Ready


Tomorrow I will ride The Great Escape 200km audax. It will be my first audax event since March 2012 and my first attempt at a 200km ride since July 2010. 

Am I ready?  Well, if knowing myself, my bike, my kit, the route, how I need to fuel, hydrate and pace myself equals readiness, then yes, I'm ready. 

Am I prepared? Looking back over the past few months at my ride data -- time, distances, frequency -- then no, I'm not as prepared as I could be or indeed would like to be. 

Last Saturday, I rode nearly 100km on Lorelei the Puch Princess on a casual group ride. That was the first (and only) ride this year longer than 25 miles. After 50 miles, discomfort from being a bit too stretched out for my liking began to kick in but otherwise I felt good and got up the next day feeling I could do the same again. 

Tomorrow will be very different. Crucially, I will be on a bike that fits me, one I trust to give a comfortable ride all day long. I will have a handlebar bag to carry snacks and to stuff items of clothing in as the day wears on, with no need to stop -- likewise with water bottles. Perhaps most importantly, I will be wearing stiff-soled cycling shoes and using clipless pedals. That makes all the difference to my legs, particularly knees, in terms of stability and degree of fatigue. 

So compared to last weekend, I should be a bit faster and more efficient. As long as I can school myself to keep stops to a minimum and not 'faff about', I should be okay. 

Ideally, I would have done 5-6 rides of 100km by now, as well as 1-2 in the 140-160km region. But, although I may not have as many miles behind me as I would have liked, I think I have adequate 'time in the saddle' and sufficient conditioning to spend a long day in the saddle fairly comfortably. 

Some of our friends are talking about completing the course in 8 hours. My goal is just to finish within the fixed time limits!

7 comments:

  1. Best wishes for a fun and successful ride. A 200k is no small shakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! It's true, a 100k even a 150k can happen almost by accident but riding further than that has to be on purpose. ;)

      Delete
  2. I wish you simply an enjoyable ride. I don't envy you with a big jump in distance, but I've been there and I think you have the ability to be entirely successful. Looking forward to reading about how it all goes. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, G.E.! I have moments of thinking this is entirely foolhardy, and I have made notes on the route sheet as to where the nearest train stations are! I expect it'll be a mental game more than anything, so the question is whether I'm tough enough to see it through. I think I am, but we'll have to see.

      Delete
    2. You can do it. Stay strong and focused of mind and I have no doubt you'll make it through. :O)

      Delete
  3. Good luck. I think the muscle memory will kick in, and you will storm it. Just keep this mantra in mind, "Stop faffing about!"

    ReplyDelete

Share This