Wednesday 6 May 2015

A Cycling Mini Tour: Just What The Doctor Ordered

First day of my first cycle tour. Smell the excitement!

With the last assignment of my law course now behind me and the final exam itself just one month away, the next item on the calendar is...

An extended weekend cycling with friends in northern France. 

The Fridays On Tour 2014.  (C) Andrew Brennan
(full photo set on Flickr)


This year is the fourth "Fridays Tour", organised by Simon Legg, founder and father of the Friday Ride Night to the Coast.  This year is the first that Adam and I have been free -- have made ourselves free -- to join in for the entire duration. 

We will travel to Cherbourg on Friday, 22nd May, then spend what promises to be an absolutely idyllic three days awheel, before returning to England from Dieppe on Tuesday, 26th May. 

The Fridays On Tour 2014. (C) Jenny Millington

We will be staying in hotels and B&Bs but carrying our own luggage. Credit card touring! My favourite way to travel, to be honest. 

Very possibly the view we will have from our room in Bayeux

I have been looking forward to this trip all winter but now that it is just around the corner, I am overwhelmed with the feeling that this is exactly what I need:  a complete change of scene, relaxed cycling (interesting with hints of challenge but not strenuous), with minimal planning or day to day management required. Just turn up and pedal. 

I hope to come back refreshed and ready to focus my undivided attention on exam preparation... and then on private matters that will take all the mental and emotional fortitude I can muster. And then some. 

Pity it's rather difficult to cycle while studying...

Photo: This Isn't Happiness

11 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. Gill and I are hoping to go that way in August, our first venture into touring abroad. I look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. It does look like a gentle intro to touring abroad. I'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. We are off on a week's tandem tour of Norfolk at the end of May. Same idea, hotels and B&Bs. Can't believe how expensive they are! But looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norfolk sounds good - nice and flat! ;) I was surprised at how relatively inexpensive accommodation in France seems. We'll see how costs run overall.

      Delete
    2. Not that flat. 240 miles and 6600ft of climbing. But never going over 300ft.

      I'm planning a Devon/Dorset tour in September, 480 miles and 29, 000ft at the moment

      Delete
  3. So excited for you! I hope you have a wonderful time and can't wait to read about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! Like you said, it's just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - I sure hope so! It's been a tough few months and it's not over yet.

      Delete
  5. I am trying to track down Simon Legg. I was on the very first Friday Night Ride to the Coast and rode LeJoG with Simon years ago. Can you contact him and ask him to get in touch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon P, if you could please drop an email with your contact details to fridaynightridetothecoast@gmail.com, we can forward it on to Simon L. Thanks!

      Delete

Share This