Wednesday 12 February 2014

My At-Home Work-Outs -- or, what I do OFF the bike to feel good ON the bike (#ScotTourTrain)

Feeling Good and Fit For Anything!
Image: http://definitionofwellness.com/womens-wellness-exercise/

In preparation for my first multi-day cycle tour in June, I've put together a "training plan" to get me fit enough. (Hence the #ScotTourTrain hashtag used here and on Twitter!)

In addition to my cycling plan, I'm doing a number of things OFF the bike to improve my general conditioning. My priority is to be strong and comfortable on my bike so that I enjoy every mile of our tour and can focus on scenery not pain! My off-bike regime includes exercises and activities to help my body better cope with being on the bike for long periods. My aim is two-pronged: improve my ability to do what cycling demands, and reduce/prevent 'damage' that those demands can inflict! My regime is correspondingly two-fold: stretching and strengthening.

I've had a good stretching routine in place (developed through physiotherapy and Pilates) since I had surgery on my left knee back in October 2010. But since then, I've had a running series of injuries and niggles that make it clear that more needs to be done, to prevent more of these. That's where improving strength comes in.

This post is a run-down of all the exercises in my current regime. I do all of them at home but a few can be done easily throughout the day wherever I am.

DISCLAIMERS!

My current programme started with just a few exercises but has grown over the past three years. I have had it reviewed periodically to make sure (a) it works in an integrated fashion, (b) I haven't forgotten a crucial element; and (c) that I haven't fallen into bad form. The result (as it is now and as it will no doubt evolve) is a programme that is customised to my physiology, needs and ambitions.

I cannot tell you how to do any of these exercises. I learned them all "in real life" (as we say these days) from qualified practitioners (chiropractors, osteopaths, physiotherapists, Pilates instructors, sports massage therapists). Nothing can substitute hands-on instruction and an experienced eye checking your form as you practice each new move. So if you are interested in learning anything you see here, I encourage you to go to a class or book in for a one-to-one session with a fitness coach. It's a lot cheaper than you might think and worth every penny. Do check the teacher's qualifications and don't be shy about asking for recommendations or testimonials if that's what it takes.

While I do not go into the hows, a few of the exercises deserve a note about why I do them - these have asterisks linking to footnotes at the end.

Also - for most of these, I am doing the basic, easiest 'foundation-level' version of the particular exercise. (I am the weakest link!)

STRETCHING - Daily!

Roll Down ‑ I cannot overstate how good this feels! I start my work-out session with one or two roll-downs and end with another one, and will often do one as when throughout the day wherever and whenever I feel in need of a little stretch.

Quadratus Lumborum (QL) standing stretch

Mid-back release

  • 'The Crucifix' with a physio roller.
Hamstring stretch - using several methods *

  • Seated. There are lots of ways to go wrong with this one so do get hands-on instruction to avoid back injury.
  • Lying down ‑ leg extensions with hands clasped around the hamstrings.
  • Lying down ‑ leg extensions with strap. This is a dynamic (moving) stretch targeting the lower hamstrings, which for most people (especially cyclists and for some reason, apparently, especially women cyclists) is more prone to tightness than the upper hamstrings. I focus primarily on my knees for this one (see below), but it does stretch the hamstrings as well so it's helpful to be aware of the degree you're getting a stretch through there and to adjust accordingly.
Knee tracking **

  • I use the lower hamstring stretch with strap for this, as mentioned above. I take care with bending and straightening my knee, mindful not only of isolating the hamstring stretch but also in activating the muscles around my knee equally, especially the vastus medialis oblique (VMO), which was one of the first things my physiotherapist had me target following my knee operation. When I do this tracking/stretch work, my knee pops and creaks during the first few reps but this soon settles down. This exercise is absolutely one of the core elements in my regime - my knee really suffers if I neglect it.
Inner thigh (adductor)

  • Standing. Keeping your pelvis level, move gradually to the side (bending one knee) to find the optimum inner thigh stretch.
Gluteal muscles ***

  • Gluteus maximus
  • Periformis (deeper and trickier!) 
Neck

  • Turning head side to side
  • Dropping ear to shoulder
  • Dropping chin to chest
  • Oblique chin drop with head turn - reaches into upper back and shoulder blade area of opposite side.
Hip flexor ‑ there are so many ways to stretch the hip flexors!

  • Standing with supported bent knee.  I do a variation use whatever furniture happens to be around to support the bent leg as you stretch the hip flexor. At home, a bed or chair may work. At work, I've done this stretch in the lavatory using the toilet with the seat down!
  • Lunge. This can achieve a deeper stretch than is possible with the standing method. I've done lunges in Pilates class but find it puts a lot of pressure on my knee, so I prefer the standing method.
Calves. There are two main muscle groups in the calves, upper and lower. Both need equal attention!

  • Upper calf (with leg straight)
  • Lower calf (with leg bent at the knee) ‑ essential to prevent Achilles heel strain. (Ask me how I know!)

STRENGTH - three days a week 

Gluteus Medius (buttocks)

  • 'the Clam'
Upper back and the back of the upper arms ‑ critical support for all-day cycling

  • 'the Prone Cobra'
Core - strength and stability

  • 'the Plank' ‑ a killer but boy does this 'punch above its weight' in getting results! Due to a hand sprain, I am currently doing planks resting on my elbows.
  • 'Spine Curl' into 'Bridge', with or without leg extension (other variations possible)
Hips & shoulders

  • 'the Horse Stance' ‑ working opposite limbs
Upper hamstrings

  • Hip extensions with Swiss ball
Due to niggles and injuries, I have also recently added exercises specifically targeting:

Adductors

  • Side Lunge to Balance
  • Inner Thigh Leg Lift
Rotator cuff

  • External and internal rotations ‑ I do these standing up.
  • Lateral abduction ‑ 'm not up to doing this with bands/resistance yet. 

ADDITIONAL

Whenever I get pain or tightness in a localised area (typically my neck, beside/beneath shoulder blades, lower back, lower calves), I use Trigger Point Therapy (TPT). Get training from qualified TPT therapists – don’t attempt on your own. (I learned it from Balance Performance Physiotherapy in Clapham North, where I was getting physiotherapy following the knee surgery.)


SUMMARY

I do all the stretches every day, usually in the evening. This takes 25-30 minutes. Three times a week, I add in the strengthening exercises - those sessions take about 45 minutes.

I tend to group the exercises by where I need to be to do them e.g. standing or on the floor. For sessions that include both stretching and strengthening, I still do them in groups according to where I need to be, addressing each muscle group in turn and doing the stretching before the strengthening. For example, I do the back, neck, calf and quad stretches standing up. Then I get down onto the floor (with a yoga matt) and do all the hamstring, adductor and glute stretches and then all the leg and glute strength work, and then the back/core strength work. Depending on how things are feeling, I might finish by repeating particular stretches very gently e.g. hamstrings or do a little TPT. Lastly, I stand up and do my rotator cuff work and finish by doing one or two slow gentle roll-downs.

FOOTNOTES - the "why" of the exercises most important to me

* Hamstrings and Bike Fit. Fitness expert Jo McRae explains here how crucial healthy hamstrings are for cyclists. One interesting thing she points out is that cyclists with underlying hamstring tightness and/or weakness don't recognise hamstrings as being the cause of their problem -- they look to other things in effort to address e.g. back pain or leg weakness. The most common "solution" they try is shortening the reach on their bicycles. This doesn't solve anything and can even make matters worse.

When I had my full bike fitting at Cyclefit, the physiotherapist indicated that hamstring flexibility is a key factor in designing a custom geometry bike frame. Again, while being fitted at Enigma for my custom bike, hamstring flexibility was carefully checked. This is because, the "fitter" your hamstrings, the less strain on your back and the better able you are to maintain good "form" in a position that optimises your power and efficiency. In other words, the healthier your hamstrings, the better able you are to maintain a (comparatively-for-you) aggressive riding position for longer distances/durations. With all my road bikes before getting the Enigma, I thought the reach was too long. The Enigma initially felt a little long, or low at the front. I've since come to appreciate how much stronger AND flexible my hamstrings had become over the year leading up to the Enigma build. I hadn't noticed, but the fitters got it right! The Enigma's fit is spot-on. (Riding the Pacer after six weeks on the Enigma really illustrated this -- it felt short and my back started hurting!)

** Knee Tracking. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. My mother and eldest sister have had both knees replaced and I'm determined not to go down that route if it can be avoided. I had an arthroscopy on my left knee in October 2010. The cartilage was in such bad shape, the surgeon had to strike a balance between taking out enough and taking out too much. I've got enough cartilage to give a little cushioning but, as cracked and worn as it is, it still causes some pain. I work hard to ensure my knee is well-supported by strong muscles doing what they should in the rest of my body, and try to reduce pressure in the joint as much as I can (no kneeling for instance, also avoiding having knee bent more than 90 degrees for longer than a few seconds -- restrictions that affect which versions of certain exercises I am able to do).

*** Gluteals. The glutes are, if not the strongest muscle groups in the body, then certainly one of the strongest -- a powerhouse for most full-body efforts and important for stability and activities like cycling. With exercise and correct mobilisation, the glutes bulk up easily but, if you're not careful, they get tight, which can lead to injury. Regular stretching is crucial to good muscle tone and proper condition so you can make steady progress towards your training goals. [Don't take just my word for it!]

Sources for more information:
·        Road Cycling UK's 5-part series on Conditioning For Cyclists 


*********************************

P.S. Some readers may have spotted an earlier edition of this post, featuring an assortment of photos and videos showing some of the exercises. The quality was pretty patchy, and the various approaches taken by the source materials were at times not harmonious, so I took the decision to remove them all. I hope the lists and brief descriptions above provide food for thought. But do consult a qualified fitness practitioner to put together your own programme and make sure that you are doing it correctly and that it is achieving your goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This