Tuesday 30 December 2014

One Year Time Trial: Steve Abraham's Attempt to Break Tommy Godwin's 1939 Annual Mileage Record (75,065 miles)

Jersey logo
Steve's jersey logo

2015 will see UK Audax legend Steven Abraham attempting to break Tommy Godwin's long-standing record of 75,065 miles cycled in one year. Steve has been planning and preparing this for the past two years.

I am not going to detail here (a) Steve's own record achievements; (b) the sheer magnitude of what this venture involves; (c) how he plans to do it; (d) all the ways people are supporting him, and/or (d) how he needs to finance it. It's all on his website -- just click the links on each topic. 

Do have a look. This is a challenge of epic proportions. Everyone who knows Steve personally and who have followed his cycling exploits believe, if anyone can do it, he can. I have not met him but I am fascinated by his plans, his focus and organisation and his mental aptitude for something like this. 


And he's not the only one having a go at breaking this record -- not one, but TWO, Americans are also apparently having a go in 2015: Kurt Searvoge aka "Tarzan" (another experienced endurance cyclist) and William "Ironox" Pruett (a successful triathlete). Ironox isn't giving much away about his plans but it looks like Tarzan intends to spend his winter months cycling in warm/dry places like Florida. 

Steve will not have such a luxury option here in the UK... and neither did Tommy Godwin. 

So... is this a good time to ask about YOUR cycling goals in 2015? ;-)

4 comments:

  1. (Delurking after several months of reading and enjoying your blog)

    Hmm. I had a different goal before reading your post than I do now. My new goal is to focus resolutely on my OWN goals and not to compare myself -- almost always unfavorably -- to some other bike-riding person and THEIR goals!

    Best wishes for 2015 and beyond --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good goal! I think Steve is in a "whole nuther" league of his own, making comparison not only impossible but faintly ridiculous. If anything, what he is attempting brings me down to earth. I just want to ride my bike and enjoy doing that, for as long as I can.

      Thank you so much for de-lurking! :) All the best to you.

      Delete
  2. Rebecca, thanks for posting this. I've been dwelling on this and I find it almost inconceivable, almost mad. I figure if you are going to break the record and have one day off a week you'd need to bike about 230 miles a day. I might be able to do that for a week, but man, a year!? Fascinating... I'll be following this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't Steve is planning on ANY days without some riding: http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/preparation
      !!

      Delete

Share This