Tuesday 13 March 2018

Scottish Borders - September 2017

I don't know where the time goes... regular readers may recall a few posts in early 2017 about life changes and transitions? Well, we are in the middle of it all happening and it has been both tumultuous and the most rewarding process ever. I'll fill you all in soon but meanwhile it also occurs to me that I have not yet posted about our Scottish Borders mini-tour last September.  

Here are the basics, along with photos. I will flesh out the account later. 

Except for Day 6, we kept to the itinerary planned in advance, namely: 

Day 1: take the train to Berwick-upon-Tweed; 
Day 2: cycle to Haddington (approximately 45 miles); 
Day 3: cycle to Edinburgh (approximately 25 miles) incorporating a visit to the Battle of Prestonpans site (because, well, Scottish history and Outlander and all that); 
Days 4 & 5: visiting and sightseeing in Edinburgh with my sister (along with a long-time friend who is flying into Edinburgh for these 2 days -- she and my sister haven't seen each other in over 20 years); 
Day 6: train to Lockerbie then cycle to Kirtlebridge (about 10 miles); 
Day 7: cycle to Penrith (about 60 miles); 
Day 8: visiting friends in the Lake District (who own a brewery!); then 
Day 9: train home. 

So without further ado - 

Day 1










Day 2













Day 3 


















Days 4 & 5













































Day 6









Day 7 









Day 8 with friends

Day 9

 







4 comments:

  1. Having just been away for a couple of days and stayed in a B and B, it's particularly interesting to see pics of the breakfast in your hotels/B and Bs!! Must remember to do this next time we go away! Your pics make me want to go to both Scotland and Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing all your photos! It's fun to see places that I'll likely never have the opportunity to visit too, so I thank you for sharing.

    I hope life hasn't been too crazy for you, and it's always nice to "hear" from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your photos! Take care and check in when you can. Your transition is more important of course. We'll be here. I hope you're able to squeeze in some cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a great trip! We absolutely loved Edinburgh, it's the one place we wish we'd had spent more time when we stayed in Scotland. As our days in Europe are winding down, I feel like there's so many more places, especially in the UK and Ireland, that I wish we could revisit.

    ReplyDelete

Share This