Wednesday 20 September 2017

FRIDAY NIGHT RIDE TO THE COAST - Southend edition (10/11 March 2017)

Waiting for the train to London

A belated mini-report on the first FNRttC of 2017, back in March!  

I felt a bit like a prodigal daughter: my last "full value" (i.e. not partially train assisted) FNRttCs were the London-to-Whitstable run in August 2014 and the Cardiff-to-Swansea ride in September 2015. 

Gathering at our new Starting Point on the Southbank © Adam Bell

The Welsh ride was interesting from a fitness point of view, because we had just returned from the Lowlands Tour (8 days of riding the flats of France, Belgium and the Netherlands) and one thing any Welsh route is not going to be is "flat"!  I lamented my overall lack of 'climbing fitness' but only had to walk one hill. 

This year I hit the roads early on by commuting every day since the Christmas period, then starting physiotherapy in late January. 

The result? While our March ride was much hillier (by design) than our long-standing, traditional Southend route, I enjoyed every single minute of it. 


© Adam Bell

I blinked while a donut and two halves of bacon sandwiches disappeared

The Beach's Seaside Breakfast





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This