Sunday 1 February 2015

Time To Try Again


I last cycled a 200km event in July 2010, riding completely solo and self-supported on my 1979 Puch Princess (at that time with original gearing of 48 x 14-28 five speed).

The following year I attempted the same ride with an assorted mix of friends of varying abilities, most of whom I hadn't cycled with before. We were a disorganised mess, perpetually unsure of who was ahead, who was behind, who was waiting, should I wait?, etc., etc.  About 60km in, I found myself alone in the pitch-dark countryside with a pulled muscle, with none of my cycling companions answering their mobile phones. So I phoned a friend who lived nearby and arranged a "DNF".

In 2013, I tried the same route yet again -- this time with a small group of fellow FNRttCers, which means we all stick together -- but again did not finish for a variety of reasons, including an unfamiliar saddle not set up correctly. 

Since then, I've got a good bike that fits me, kitted out with gear that suits me, and I have bullied and cajoled my knees into behaving fairly well most of the time. 

So here we go -- not the Dunwich Dynamo this time but a proper organised audax with controls and time limits, in day light through countryside I'm somewhat familiar with. I've known of this audax for a while and was vaguely tempted but finally threw my hat in the ring when I found out quite a few friends (FNRttCers and CycleChatters) had signed up.  

I'm certainly not fighting fit enough to do it tomorrow but I've got nearly four months to get myself back up to that level. I'm really looking forward to it. 

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I think setting up these kinds of challenges can help with keeping focus on training. I found that last year it was very difficult for me to do the training I wanted to do (in part) because I had no real or formal events to look forward to completing. I am certain you will do well and can't wait to read more about your training and how the ride goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope it'll be fun! It'll certainly be a challenge, fitting in enough training around full-time work and my studies as I approach final exams. Like you said, it's good to have a goal. This event comes highly recommended and the route takes advantage of a lot of great cycling countryside. Roll on, springtime!

      Delete
  2. We don't have a true bike show here in Calgary --middle of the Canadian prairies. I don't count 1 bike store showcasing their new lines, a bike show.

    When I lived in Toronto, there was an annual large bike show which was lots of fun. I was volunteering for a women's cycling group for 5 years and we manned an information table. Lots of networking at that time.

    ReplyDelete

Share This