Wednesday 14 May 2014

#ScotTourTrain - Lessons Learned

(C) Stephen Bowler *

1.   Being "fit enough to ride" is about the state of my mind, not the state of my body. 

2.   I must not pre-judge how my body will feel over the course of a long cycle ride. How I feel when I wake up is not the same way I will feel when I walk out the door.... or when I get on the bike... or several hours in... or when I get off... or when I fall asleep in utter exhaustion... or -- perhaps crucially -- whether I'll wake up feeling ready to repeat it all over again. 

3.   So often I feel pain and think "if I keep cycling, I'll make it worse"...  I won't. It won't. Keep going. Don't look for trouble. 

4.   In practical terms?  I've been working on muscle control awareness. Knee tracking is always an issue but I'm practicing conscious control of the interplay and exchanges between different muscle groups as my pedals move my legs around in endless circles. Key to this has been reminding myself to point my toes straight ahead. And work those glutes! And for the left leg, more glute medes.

Am I ready?  Getting close. Will I be "fit enough" on departure day? Yes, I will.

*Photo re-published under license

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This