Friday 24 January 2014

Sustrans: The Movie -- A Celebration of Volunteers, by Volunteers



Volunteers from all over the country have contributed film clips of their activities to a compilation film put together by Sustrans. This isn't an official release of any kind. It's not part of any campaign and it won't get any official publicity.  (It also had no budget!)

It's just us, celebrating what we do.

Once over the initial astonishment, I was very pleased to find that I appear in it not once -- but twice!

In one shot (staged, I confess), I am shown arriving at work (Travel Choices Hub in Dunstable), all bundled against the cold in frankly a lot of black!

And my bum seems to have a key role in the scene behind the closing title...!

Cycling beside me in that shot is Don Goss, one of our local heroes who has turned his life around through volunteering and community engagement. Through Sustrans, he has become a qualified Ride Leader and First Aider and just recently got a job as trainee Cycle Trainer with one of the local authorities. The clip was from a Luton and Dunstable Cycling Forum ride (led and organised by Sustrans volunteers). We had such fun that day, knowing we were being video'd but not knowing what might or might not appear in the final film!

Even more than appearing in this video, I feel honoured that an excerpt from footage that I filmed (of my colleague Hazel assisting a chap with planning a new journey) made the final cut... it's at 2:34.

Happy volunteering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This