Sunday 27 October 2013

At the Mercy of the Wind


Having posted a 'backup' coffeeneuring post yesterday, I looked out the windows this morning and thought "Hmmm, looks bit breezy but at least the sun is shining, I'll give it a go. Maybe it's time for a Coffee Shop Without Walls coffeeneuring ride?"  I decided I'd just pop out to the new portrait bench on the Upper Lea Valley portion of NCN6 - only about 5 miles round trip but it'd be a lovely spot for a hot drink and a few photos.

First, though, I had to finish the latest tweak to the Enigma's set-up:  flipping the stem. The height out of the shop felt a little too low but raising it one spacer was definitely too high. Having examined the various angles involved, I thought keeping it at the upper setting but flipping it might have the result of lowering it back down but only by about 1/2 a spacer. I started this little job on Friday but made a embarrassing beginner's mistake - which I didn't have time that night to set right.

So I finished that and got dressed for the ride. Before setting off, I took a couple of photos. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to work out how to capture the bike in a way that accurately shows the handlebar set up. It is now almost level with the saddle - yet still looks much higher in photos.

Then - a gust of wind caught the bike and blew it over. On the drivetrain side. Sigh. I'm beginning to think Murphy's law about the odds of which side a dropped slice of bread lands on is absolutely true: it's going to be the side with the most to lose.

Nonetheless, I straddled the bike, clipped in and rolled down the driveway. The wind didn't seem so bad. I rode one-handed a minute adjusting the zip on my jacket. I put both hands on the bar and thought "I think I've got the height finally nailed".

And a gust of wind caught me - blowing off my cap and nearly knocking ME over.

I may have been a bit optimistic but I'm not stupid! I made a u-turn in the street and headed straight bike home. Total distance - quarter of a mile at most!

I'll be keeping on eye on how this storm develops but it does look like I'm grounded til at least tomorrow afternoon at the very soonest - and then there will be flooded roads and downed trees to worry about.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This